View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It would be interesting to know how insurance/repair costs stack up for a Tesla v a regular IC car.
There's a thread on TMC about insurance cost. Premiums seem to be all over the map -- speculation is that some companies underwrite by going high first, then bringing it down as they get a claim history, while others start low and increase premiums as they get actual cost experience. Another speculation is that Tesla is coming up a "exotic" -- probably because of the Roadster.

I did ask my insurer for a quote, but they don't have Tesla in their database. Kind of ironic since their name is "Electric Insurance". They did a quick quote based on the MSRP, and that indicated that insurance would be ~$300 higher annually (but our rates just dropped by that much for our current policy, so its really a wash from what I'm used to paying...).

My own speculation will be that it will be higher to insure since there is a very high Aluminum content -- including most of the structure (with high-strength steel in safety areas)...

Perhaps Fil can weigh in?