Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #505
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Ok, so I know I have never been the Porsche enthusiast that a lot of you guys are, but the more I look at what will replace the 1er, the more 'sensible' the idea of a boxster/911 is.

The next car has to be a soft top convertible. As of now a manual is required, but that limits the population of cars so much that if something perfect came along in an auto, I'd consider it. The car *should* be my primary daily driver, but I could also get something that sat in the garage the majority of the time and a cheap daily/commuter. It needs to be emotionally engaging.

My heart says AMV8 at all costs, but the voice of reason says "DON'T BE STUPID... you won't be able to drive it regularly, it will break a-lot and cost you tons of money, and no matter how pretty it is, you'll resent the space it takes up in your garage after a month of sleeping on the floor next to it." But then the other half of my brain says"JUST LOOK AT IT! myyyy preciiiioousss." If we went this route, reality is we'd probably keep it for a year, try to keep miles low on it and sell it for close to what we bought it for because it probably wouldn't fit longer term.

The boxster/911, on the other hand, would make a solid primary driver and check all the boxes in my wants list, except I am not nearly as in lust with it. I'm trying to warm to them.

I have been browsing classifieds trying to get my head around what is out there and for the life of me, can't figure out 911 features/options etc. Is there a VIN decoder like for BMWs? Are there website cheat sheets I should be studying? Other than IMS bearings (which are older than I'm considering anyway), are there things I should be wary of or specificly require?

Currently, this is the one that I am most fond of:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This one is also interesting:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

This is just my starting point, I'm probably 12 months from doing anything, but its a slow friday at work and I want to start learning
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote