View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
You can tell certain parts of the interior are a huge improvement over the R53. It has the same general design, but the R56 felt more gimmicky -- almost cartoonish.
I really like the interior of the R56 but certainly agree with this comment. I think the door panels look better, the dashboard shape looks better, the center console is a better design, I actually like the larger speedometer, and I like the changes to the glovebox and the addition of the "secret compartment". I like the integration of the latest features (comfort access, bluetooth, Sirius, HD radio, ipod/USB, etc.). The climate control is easy to operate.

So what do I have to complain about? While the climate control is easy to operate, I think the fan speed and temperature controls look a bit goofy and are not as smooth to operate on all cars as they should be. And the radio? Yes, I think that is a mess. The power/volume knob that is lost all by itself? The radio display/controls in the bottom portion of the speedometer? I wish that they would have used the space on the speedometer for guages like they did on the R50/R53, and that they had put a more conventional looking radio headunit/faceplate on the center stack above the climate control switches. If they were to make those changes to the climate control and radio controls, then I think the complaints about the interior would be greatly eliminated since the rest of the interior is very nice.