View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I enjoy every opportunity that I have to drive a JCW-tuned R53... the upgraded performance parts and extra power help eliminate the hesitation that the normal R53 has from a start, and at open throttle, the car has a really nice sound put out by the supercharger and exhaust. This set up (either the JCW GP or just a R53 with JCW tuning kit) is *special* in that sense, it really is a nice car to drive. The regular R53 is nice but the issues with the powerplant are more obvious.

The turbo in the R56 is an excellent powerplant. More power, much more usable power band, and fuel economy improvement over the previous generation. I think it is a gem of an engine. Throw the JCW kit on this one, and it helps make it just a bit better without being too much for the car. The kit doesn't make the night-and-day difference that it does with the R53, but it also costs 1/3 as much. Plus, I think the potential for future modification is great. Unlike the 335i, where the turbos are a PITA to get to and to replace, the turbo on the R56 looks like a simple item that can be swapped out down the road for a bigger one to improve performance as well.