View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
w o w.

that's quite the review.

to address some of your points:

1. the 195/55/16s are tolerable, but they're grand touring tires. cheap for runflats, but they don't have much grip --no doubt unloading the runflats would make a huge difference.

2. the torque steer. it's definitely there. i'm not sure if the limited slip unit exacerbates it or ameliorates it, though. i think i sensed it also in the nonLSD demo i drove.

3. the engine. it's a marvel of an engine. super-kudos to BMW for creating, with peugeot, a phenomenal powerplant. in cold weather, just an FYI, it sputters upon cold start and you can feel the heat soak if you're caning the car on wickedly hot humid summer days. those R53 people are still insane because that powerplant is intolerable to me.

4. i generally hate the interior but i've come to grips with it.

5. it's very do-able for a daily driver. now that we're in the cold weather, either because of the cold grease on the bearings plus the change in gas formulation, the mpgs have dropped in city driving to 29mpg from 31mpg --or maybe i'm gunning it more?

6. i miss RWD a lot and that'll for sure be the next car, but i'm really enjoying this particular BMW product a lot. how they manage the steering feel is a mystery to me, but they do.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote