View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #15
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Sabotage?!?!

As far as I (and a Chevy dealer) can tell, someone performed some late-night adjustments on the Atom (which was under a car cover at the time) just outside of Indianapolis a couple days ago.

After a day and a half of troubleshooting, we determined that the powertrain control relay wasn't kicking in. The dealer rigged a bypass to get me going, since I was way behind schedule at that point.

About 150 miles down the road from the dealer, I noticed that my TomTom GPS had shut down due to a low battery condition. That's odd, as it is connected to the car wiring for power.

On investigating, I discovered that the latching power connector for the TomTom dock (which could not have come apart by accident) was unplugged. While looking around under there, I found that one of the 2 smaller wires to the master disconnect switch was unplugged and dangling.

Reconnecting that got my powertrain relay working again, so I removed the bypass the dealer had put in.

I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing. I'd accept that one of these might just be from vibration, but 2 in the same area (one of which is a locking connector) is really suspicious.

I've made up a half a day and am now only one day behind schedule. I'm in Lincoln, NE tonight. This means that I rushed past and didn't get a chance to visit w/ Kognito, unfortunately. But if I'm to make the start of the race, I have to go flat out every day to get to CA in time.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote