Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #57
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, pricing on these cars is dumb.

My suggestion, honestly, is to do one of two things:

1) Get a 987.1 for c. 20K. You'll enjoy it the few days you can use a car like this, and while it is much less car than any of the 981s, it's far, far less money and will depreciate a few thousand bucks, if at all. The IMS is annoying, but the risk is small and more than made up for by the depressed cost of entry. If you can find a 987.2, great, but as we've discussed elsewhere that's not easy.

2) Just buy a new one. As you say, the 4.0 GTS is a special car, it will continue to be a special car, and when the electric Boxsters come out, its resale will only increase.

3) Buy something else entirely.

I'd love to do 2 but I can't justify it, so 1 makes more sense than anything.
That's pretty much where I find myself. I have a mental block about simply getting what I used to own a decade ago (likely not as well optioned). But that really is where the value is.

It is pretty tough to justify 100k for an occasional sports car. Which, to your third point, opens up the obvious question: If 100K is a "good" cost of ownership calculation for a 4.0 GTS, are there other, better options for spending 50-100k in a car that could be as or more interesting? Finally, there's the "shut up and keep driving the Miata" option because it is fun, costs next to nothing to own, and you don't have to obsess over it.

I'm tempted by this car: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Get a 987.2S yet not have to worry too much about it since it's pretty beat up? It's better than the Miata.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote