View Single Post
Old 10-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
RKT BMR
Banned

Griots wheel cleaner rocks!

Let's start out by acknowleging that there are a variety of good wheel cleaners out there -- this is not meant to be a "mine's better than yours" thread.

That said, I've tried about a half dozen different products over the two year life of the RKT. Included in this bunch is Simple Green, and some sort of caustic crap from PepBoys that is supposed to be a spray on, rinse off affair that I later learned was bad bad bad for painted wheels (thanfully before I did any apparent damage).

I won't list everything in my detailing graveyard for cleaning wheels. I wanted to talk about the Griots product.

I was skeptical shen I first got a bottle (35 oz, with sprayer). Looked to me like a variation on Simple Green. Same color. Similar (although not the same) odor. Same claim of environmental friendliness. Blah blah blah.

Well, it's not Simple Green. SG was lousy at helping loosen the stubborn brakedust deposits on my wheels when I have been particularly neglectful, and let them go for weeks without care. In fact, as far as I can tell, SG does no more than plain rinsing with water -- knocks off the loose, recent dust, leaves behind stuff that takes a fair amount of manual effort to remove.

Griots wheel cleaner, OTOH, is superb! I did a full wash and detail a week ago, after neglecting the wheels for probably six weeks. They were, well, almost black with brakedust.

Much to my surprise, after generous dousing with Griots wheel cleaner, letting it sit for just a few minutes, most of the crap rinsed off. What was left behind wiped off easily with a three-finger sponge -- no rubbing/scrubbing neccesary. A real surprise and delight!

But that wasn't the best part: This weekend, vowing to keep the wheels in better shape, I resolved to clean them before they got bad. I'm planning to try and hit them once a week. So, yesterday I filled the wash bucket with soapy water, got my other stuff ready (towels, 3-finger sponge, creeper, etc.) and got started. Sprayed the first wheel with Griots cleaner. Gave it two minutes, then rinsed it off.

WHAT? All the brakedust rinsed off!! Never had this happen with any other product I've tried (although some have come close). What a joy! I then just had to dry the wheel -- no scrubbing, sponging, etc. necessary. Did all 4 wheels, and dumped out some perfectly good soapy wash water, unused.

Griots does it again! :smile:
RKT BMR is offline   Reply With Quote