View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #249
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I actually don’t doubt the 4 week promise at this point. I don’t see any reason they’d send the invitation without a pretty good idea of their production/delivery schedule. They’re building cars slower than they wanted, but they know roughly how fast they are building them.
I'd agree -- Tesla has a pretty good feel for what percent of invites will order quickly and that the build rate and ship times will allow 4 week delivery...

For example, I saw a post on TMC from a person who received an invite to order in early December, but decided to wait. Then she was in an accident a few days before Christmas, likely totaling her Model S (a distracted driver nearly hit her head on -- she swerved and was side swiped instead -- damage all along the side of her car, with the rear quarter in really bad shape, a destroyed wheel, etc. So she decided to go ahead and order the Model 3, expecting it in late Jan. She could have taken delivery prior to new years, but pushed it out this week since she was out of town for a few days.

Also, it seems that JST was part of a wave of invites all along the East Coast... I'm guessing Tesla is batching regions. Someone else from AZ mentioned that he has not received an order offer yet either...