View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 05:48 PM   #84
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah it’s really hard for me to avoid the conclusion that the F80 is the sweet spot. I’ve mulled the idea of getting a G80 to replace it, maybe with individual paint if that’s still a thing you can do. But driving TDs makes me pretty confident that it won’t drive better than the F80, it’ll just be newer. And heavier.

Driving the X5 makes me appreciate the benefits of a big comfortable car, but for my daily I wouldn’t want to skew too much further in that direction than the F80, so I don’t think the M5 is my jam, as impressive as the performance is.
I can definitely see that. If I still had my F80, I would not have sold it despite not being a great fit. I don't regret selling it at the time, but had I waited a few months later I would not have felt the need to sell it. Once gone, however, and given the nature of my commute, the size of my kids, how my wife felt about the F80 (too stiff and loud), and for the sake of trying something new, I am ok with the M5. But it only works because I have the 718.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote