View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Tire advice urgently needed

This is odd.

Some of you may recall me bitching about the flat spots on the Bridgestone S-03s I inherited from a generous board member. I had them installed on the front wheels of my M3 along with brand new rear S-03s last year and immediately felt a strong vibration. Upon further review, I determined that the donated (not new) tires weren't round.

Well, I never did anything about it and the symptoms seemed to go away. So I quit worrying about it.

ThenI got my car aligned yesterday and the vibration is back. Bad. And when I jacked up the car tonight to investigate, one spin of the wheel and I could see exactly what I could last year.

Now the fronts are almost to the wear bars (the rears still look like they have about 5K to go until they get to their wear bars) and I've decided that I will go insane driving on these tires much longer. I tired of the tramlining characteristics of the S-03s some time ago so I'm ready to make a switch.

I need advice.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- VERY sticky
- STIFF sidewall (I want crisp turn-in and a firm ride)
- As little tramlining as possible
- Decent water evacuation

What I don't care about:
- Stylish tread pattern
- Price (to a point)
- Wear characteristics
- Noise

Since a few of you guys practically live at Radial Tire, I figure this is a good place to start.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote