Thread: cars for kids
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #67
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
One of the other things was a kinda-vibrating-kinda-ticking-as-opposed-to-knocking sound.

Initial diagnosis was VTEC spool valve. In opening it up for that and doing a valve adjustment, they found all kinds of metal shavings and damage to the camshafts. They stopped work and called because they don't think there's a point to continuing work. I asked for quotes on engine replacement. He guesstimated $5-$6k. Not sure if he was thinking reman or used and he said he'd give me quotes tomorrow for each. Used engines go for about $1500-$2500 on car-part.com and it looks remans are generally about $3500-$4000. Internet suggests it's about 10-12 hour job.

Even for a car that would barely be worth $6k with a newly remanufactured engine at a cost of $5k (or even a little more), replacement seems preferable to spending that much on another beater of unknown history plus the time and effort to find it.

If the price difference between used and reman is like what I think, reman is the way to go, right? The delta isn't huge and used would be of unknown history.

Going to bite the bullet on labor vs attempting myself and trying to convince friends to help since I don't have time to make that happen.

Sigh.
LS swap.

https://www.copart.com/lot/70131301/...-atlanta-south
JST is offline   Reply With Quote