View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #57
kognito
older fart than ZBB

The last, very last time I filled up in Oregon was at a station in front of a grocery store. (pumps were run by the grocery store) There were 5 fuel islands, so 10 pumps plus a the islands on the end also had diesel pumps.

There was 1 person working to pump gas. just 1!! and I swear the guy was about 87 years old.

Our class A rv had a 125 gallon diesel tank, but had fill necks on both sides of the RV. Seemed convenient to be able to fill from either side of the RV, but there was a trick to it. When using the larger diameter truck nozzles, you had to open both caps to vent the tank. If you didn't, diesel would burp out of the tank, and all over the outside paint job.

I told the 89 year old dude that I used to pump fuel in NJ, and filling this tank was tricky, so he let me pump my own. But he still had to come over to the pump, and "unlock it" with his special card.

Did get a lot of stares from other motorists. Maybe they thought I was taking away from the 89 year old's responsibilities, or maybe they never saw a 40foot RV before at the supermarket pumps