View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

If I had to go with a street tire to act as a rain tire...the Hankooks are what I'd go with if the sizing worked. What I didn't like about the Hankook on the RX-8 was that because it was a little short compared to OE (225/40-18 vs 225/45-18), I racked up mileage about 3% faster than I should have. OTOH, having the speedo read a couple MPH high at highway speeds probably never hurt me.

The tires wore pretty nicely on the street. I put about 14k on them and they still have plenty of life left (and are going on the front of the Boxster as streets). One of them has a couple screws in it, though. They were quiet, ride nicely and have more than enough grip for the street. FWIW, this is the same set that I did the Evo Challenge school on back in 8/05. And they're cheap.

We only ran them in the wet once (Devens, Saturday), and the experience didn't give us the warm and fuzzies. I don't think that we were anywhere close to right on pressures, and I don't think we drove very well. Still, though, I'm not sure that we did the wrong thing running those tires.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote