View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #358
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
At best, I'd call it a wash since the engineering costs of late 80s 911 had long since been paid but the production costs were probably higher relatively. But the fact that Porsche wasn't as efficient at producing 911s back then should t be counted against a modern 991. Personally, I find nearly every tangible aspect of "quality" to be higher in the new car.

I'm not even sure I buy into the "over engineered" myth of 80s German cars and Porsches in particular. The current 991 has up to date engine, suspension and electronics. In fact porsche is leading the industry in some aspects now - for example their electric steering is considered the best. The air cooled 911s lagged in that regard. And as far as which one is "over built" I bet the modern one blows the old one away in terms if using high strength steel that wasn't available back then.

You could also compare prices of a base cayman to a 944 and I think the cayman would come out favorably. So i think buyers get more than they did for their money back then due to intelligent platform sharing and better production techniques.

Don't get me wrong - I love air cooled 911s but I think we view them (and other old cars) through rose tinted glasses.
i do not disagree with you, but i wonder how many 996, 997 or 991 cars will be on the road in 20 years? in and about Boston, i see a lot of hair dryer power 911s. i'm not sure if that's simplicity more than overengineering.

in my humble opinion, and this is the same for BMW, there is a clear line of demarcation where the era of engine rebuilds and disposable engines starts --and i think for Porsche that began in 1999.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote