View Single Post
Old 04-04-2023, 10:58 PM   #26
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I believe Alan and Sarafil both own one…

Yes we have a M550 - it’s definitely a bigger car than a 3 series or C class which is why I asked about the E53 vs. others on list - there are pros & cons.

It’s a very comfortable car with more interior space and much more comfortable seats vs. a 3 series. I commute from Boston area to Hartford several times a month and it’s an excellent car to spend a few hours in on the highway. The M550 has more power than you practically need but you don’t have to drive it aggressively if you don’t want to and it can be pretty smooth & relaxed around town. With dynamic handling package it handles well and feels like a smaller car, without DHP it’s floaty. Overall we’re happy with it and the balance of power, comfort, etc.

Actually considered an E43/E53 as well but at the time we were looking they were considerably more $$ for similar year and mileage with much less power from 6cyl vs. V8. I’m not planning to keep this much outside of warranty so I wasn’t too worried about long term ownership cost of the turbo V8’s but if you are thinking it is a long term purchase that might change your pick. The current V8 is the 3rd gen of this motor and supposed to be significantly improved, but still too early to see real examples to back that up.

M340 or C43 are also great cars and will be sportier, but I personally don’t find a 3 series that comfortable to spend a lot of time in anymore. Maybe just preference so definitely worth checking them out.