View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #22
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Lack of a manual transmission wouldn’t stop me from buying any new car today. If I have to buy a 2021 Camaro, I have to consider to the 10 speed auto the 1LE will be available with for the first time.

Given what driving in the real world is like these days, ascribing to “purity” or some such is silly. Drive by wire, brake by wire, electric steering, electric suspension doodads and every5ing else that makes a modern car a modern car leaves a manual transmission...about as useful as an appendix. Maybe less. Clinging to it is what leads to MAGA.

Modern cars are enjoyable for what they are, and that’s cool. A full on driving experience is better experienced with older cars. It’s more pure, it’s more visceral, it’s more connected (literally with rods, levers, and cables), it’s more fun. It may not be as fast, but it’s better.

Going gaga over multi-million dollar cars that can’t be used in any realistic setting in one post and lamenting the lack of manual transmissions in another is... weird from my perspective.
Bah. A modern car can’t actually do the utility part of being a car any better than a car from 30 years ago.

When I can get a self driving car, I’ll be interested in a new car. Until then, at least old cars are mildly interesting to drive at speeds that have some relation to legality.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote