View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #147
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Neil is a good guy and a good driver. He's the one that bought the used one in Florida the same day I bought mine in Ohio. I haven't spoken to him since he arrived at PittRace, so I'm not sure what to make of the results given the weather.

The Salisburys bought one, Terry Baker and Curtis Staples are another one, plus Kevin and me in mine. That's six in the class in addition to 11 others in DS on Sunday.

The car is really, really fun to autocross. It's kind of weird in that no one ran one in 2016 (when it was in FS) and Scroggs was the only one in 2017 and he stomped everything else. That alien driver performance has led to a mini-lemming effect this year with some people like Neil and me buying the car. I mean, Scroggs performance told me that the car is worth a consideration rather than "this is the car for its class". What I didn't know until Sunday (but had a glimpse of a couple weeks ago) was that it's such a blast to drive. You think of some cars that have been dominant, but boring or unfun to drive. This is not like that at all.

It's a car that I think should be more popular based just on that, but it has a some things going against it. A Camaro that's not a V8. Hard to see out of. Limited use back seat. But it's cheap, easy on tires, super fun, and competitive in class.

But that last may only be for now. If the Focus RS moves in next year, that probably kills the Camaro for Pro Solo even if it can win at a Tour. We also still don't know what a Civic Type R can really do with a top driver. Looking forward to seeing Scroggs, Sparks (in the new WRX) and a top level driver in a Civic Type R at the same event...hopefully with a well driven RS or two in the same heat. May not happen before Lincoln in September, though.

This was a fun read. Sounds like a blast and why you bought it!

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote