View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #35
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Cliff notes: I have a new car plan for 6 yrs for now and M3s are not part of it.

Biggins post about e90 m3 depreciation in the f80 M3 thread got me thinking, but instead of further derailing that thread, I figured I'd wax un-poetically here. I used to lust after each new M3, both in convertible and sedan form. When the e93 came out with the hard top, I lost all interest in the m3 convertibles, and after living with my current fleet of cars for 6mos, the m3 sedans are loosing interest as well. Now the F80 is here, and while I think it looks great, it is huge at a time where my need for a big car is rapidly diminishing. This is the first time I don't really see myself owning another M3.

I'm really happy with our 3 cars right now. The 135 is the perfect blend of fun, size and "nice-carness" to be a daily driver with top down options. Two kids fit in the back without complaining, the trunk holds two overnight bags and the creature comforts work excellently. It has significantly reduced my desire for wanting what I don't have. Even if the M2 convertible is well executed, or we determine a 2 seater would fit our lifestyle acceptably, I'm not looking for the time to swap for something new, like I have with every other car I owned except the m5 (that became a mileage, resale value, potential cost of upkeep and kid license casualty). Really happy with it.

The E61 is amazing at eating miles on long trips. It has proven big enough for the 5 of us to go places comfortably, and makes the 275mile drive to the lake a 4 hour no stop affair. We added a warranty on that will take us to 125k miles, so that buys us some piece of mind for a few more years. We are putting a TON of miles on it (we're up over 73k, I think we bought it with 58k). I'm getting a set of Conti DW mounted on it today, which I expect will further improve the quiet highway cruising capabilities. I'm hopeful we can keep it for another 4 years or so until the girls are well into college. I expect if the rest of the plan works out, this car will be replaced in 4 yrs or so with the new little tesla (hopefully in 4wd guise). If we decide we don't like the idea of electric, or Tesla shits the bed, we'll probably opt for a 328 wagon.

The little e46 is a pile of fun and a great 3rd beater/kid car. It has been serving its purpose great, been pretty reliable, solid in the snow (especially with Hakkas on it) and kid safe. it is getting a little beaten up, more by my wife than by the 16yr old, but no one minds. It should last them well into college, at which point we'll *sell* it to one of them. I think the replacement here will be a 4 door Jeep Wrangler with a soft top option and a hitch. This would replace the e61 family hauling duties, the winter car for me and give us the added flexibility of hauling the boat around. It would also give us a 2nd, very different kind of fun car to pair with the 135i.

Seems like a good idea for now with lots of time to adjust it as times change.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote