Thread: 09 e90 loaner
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I have a nearly new 2009 328i xDrive loaner while my 330i is being serviced. I think automatic and heated seats are the only options.

1. The automatic tranny really really sucks. This stands out over and above all review items. Take a bet between dog and surge... That's the response you get.
2. The xi suspension is inferior to i sport suspension. This difference is overshadowed by 1. above.
3. To my surprise, the leatherette is pretty good, I really wouldn't have noticed it.
4. The non-sport seats are actually kind of comfy and leave more leg room and impression of space. Not sure how they would be on a long drive.
5. The new 16" wheels and taillights actually look good.
6. The new elephantine mirrors suck. They are huge vertically but not long enough horizontally, there might be added wind noise as well.
7. The ride/handling is really not quite there for a 38-40k car. No wonder Audi is stealing sales, even with their weak steering.
8. The 328 engine feels pretty close to the 330 engine in power/torque in most cases (if you account for the sucky AT). They differ in higher revs where the 330 seems to breathe better, sound better and develop heady power.
9. The continental A/S runflats are nicer than bridgestone turanza A/S runflats.

I agree completely on the transmission. It is terrible. That was my one big take-away from my loaner drive of an 08 328i. What a POS; it completely ruins the car, and is measurably worse, IMHO, to the transmission in my father's freaking Edge.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote