View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I put a low offer in on an 04 wagon yesterday, might be too low to work out a deal. Its low miles and a great options list, but it was originally used as a service loaner when new. I figure if anything was beat on back then it would clear by now.
Are you looking at a manual or an automatic? The problem with these 50K+ mile automatics is that they have almost never had the transmission fluid and filter changed, and after 50K, changing them for the first time is a crap shoot as to whether it is going to cause more problems than it can prevent.

That wouldn't be so bad if rebuild kits were available, so independents could rebuild the things. But the only source for rebuilt transmissions is BMW themselves, and frankly I'd be worried about the thoroughness of the rebuilds BMW is doing. And, of course, getting a salvage one is no guarantee that it has been properly maintained and not beat up.

This is all thanks to BMW's "lifetime" fluid intervals and other "lifetime" stuff. Where "lifetime" does not mean what you think it means.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote