View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Yeah, with JST on that, don't see the point of the s5/a5, personally when the s4/a4 are out there. But that's subjective, their body shape is alluring. The moonroof/headroom/backseat access suck. The audi v8 sounds good but sucks gas and is left behind compared to the 3.0T.

The porsches are truly wonderful, especially 09-onward. They are great to drive and with a smart purchase won't depreciate as much as a comparably expensive audi or mercedes. Nothing really comes close.

I've done more than 1500 miles on my 911 in three weeks, a really fantastic car, as was the cayman. I don't think the boxster/cayman and the 911 are really interchangeable as much as I used to think. While the 911 is growing on me, they really are far more apples and oranges, very different cars than I used to think. If you are an open top person, the boxster is an easy choice (and would be my choice if I wanted the top down). If you are into coupes, the 911 vs. cayman question is more involving. Having owned both, I can't really suggest one over the other so readily, so here I differ from JST.

As everyone else has written, the cayman is more intuitive to drive, has more approachable limits. Much better turn-in than the carreras and a bit of a smoother ride with the longer wheelbase and better balance. Some cons of the cayman are darker/smaller cabin, less visibility (blind spot in right rear) and less planted rear exiting turns (this could be fun as well ).

The 911 is very fun in its own right... Power, traction out of corners, a knife-edge/motorcycle feel at times, as YOU need to balance the car, it doesn't come pre-balanced like the boxster/cayman.

A big advantage is the touring ability of the 911. This was rather unexpected for me. Yes the ride is slightly worse, but the cabin is far more comfortable for two people and the car is quieter, less tiring to drive in long stretches. The more powerful engine doesn't hurt either. The stereo situation is much better and yes, even that sunroof is enjoyable on a day like today (60F sunny).

In porsches, the options do make a difference. After "slumming" it with my bare bones cayman, I really am enjoying the loaded 911. However, I really enjoyed the hell out of that car for five years as well. It was the right progression in any case.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote