View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 AM   #20
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I still can't believe I never had an issue in three years of no front tag on the RX-8, even spending two years all stickered up, little borla muffler and most of it with a yellow front bumper that basically screamed, "Hey, Johnny Law, lookie here! No front tag! Whatchagonnado?"
In 7+ years, 34K+ miles, through most states in the continental US, I was pulled over twice* in the Atom. Once was outside LA, because it had an Oregon temp tag on it (it was on my first trip), and apparently there (is/was) no interstate lookup for temp tags. At least that's what they said - I think they just wanted to see what it was and chat for a while. After about 15 minutes, their dispatcher called and yelled at them to wrap it up because traffic was backing up from rubbernecking. The second time was in Butler, NJ when the cop (a kid less than half my age) mis-read the plate. By the time he got out of his car and walked up to me, he was all "I'm sorry, sir - I shouldn't have pulled you over. My mistake. Have a good day." And the Atom pretty much defines "look at me", particularly when I left the numbers and other stickers on it for the last few years.

* There was another time that doesn't count, as I was already sitting still (in front of the Empire State Building) - a rotund NYC cop showed up and tried to give me a hard time, but I weirded him out by going "No, thank you" every time he said "License, insurance, and registration". He finally told me to take off or he'd claim I was causing a security incident.

Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote