View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It doesn't *need* anything. If it runs okay with new coils and plugs, drive it. If you get sick of it, sell it. The low compression is unlikely to be fixed with anything other than a rebuild. There's an off chance that their oil-soak could do something, but my guess is it won't.

Engine rebuild costs depend on what needs to be replaced. It's possible to do a tear-down, clean the carbon off of everything, throw new seals and springs at it and slap it back together for under a grand. Such an engine will run fine and likely give many years of service. A full rebuild will involve evaluating all of the housings and the rotors and determining what is good and what needs to be replaced. New rotor housings are upwards of $500 each for the RENESIS. Side housings usually can be reused, but they're on the same order of magnitude for cost if they need replacement. I don't remember how much RENESIS rotors go for these days but $500-$1000 each doesn't seem unlikely. So a "full" rebuild could easily cost $4k just in parts.

I do like rebuilding rotaries but I don't see myself wanting to take that on in the near future. I have a pretty full plate right now.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote