View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So the play here is you'd unload the Golf R and get a "larger than a Model Hamburger" second car to take on trips to the beach?

Is the driving requirement here 1) more luggage space or B) more elbow room for rugrats? If B, there isn't much other than "three row SUV" that fits the bill. Any sedan type thing is going to be about the same amount of space as a Model Hamburger for three kids across, right? I may be totally wrong, an Accord may truly have more hip / shoulder room than a 3. It certainly looks larger. But at that point why not just get rid of both the Golf R and the 3 and drive an Accord? Financially and functionally that makes the most sense.

If the answer is 1), some kind of cool hatchback/wagon type thing might be the answer. Panamera (though I hesitate to call that dog-taking-a-dump "cool"), Mercedes/AMG wagon (how much ya got to spend on maintenance and repairs?) might be options.

Haven't you for years promoted the merits of various Ford EcoBoost SUV things (Edge, Flex, etc, I can't keep those things straight)? Sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth is At least they'll (probably) be cheap to own and operate.
It's really a hip room thing in the back seat. The Model S is wide enough that three across is doable (that's one of the reasons I got one, because back when I needed car seats, it would take 3 across). The Model 3 is probably not, at least comfortably. In every other way the 3 and S are roughly equivalent, though because the S is a hatchback it can accept bulky cargo that the 3 can't--but the trunk opening in the 3 is surprisingly large.

I like Nick's plan. Renting is a pain but if we are really talking about 1 or 2 trips a year, it makes more sense than driving some giant tank around (and parking it--both my wife and I park in underground garages).

But ha ha on Ecoboost things. Yes, I am hoist on my petard there. The current gen Explorer blows, but I suspect the new one is going to be a lot more interesting to drive.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote