View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #474
JST

Goddamnit, I hadn't focused on the adapter issue. That's annoying.

At least it looks like they've got a good selection of them now. For a while there were a few that you couldn't get.

I'll need at least the 5-20 (for the circuit in my front yard, for when my driveway is snowed in) and the 14 or 10-30. Need to check which one; that's what I use at my sister in law's house.

One bummer about the Model 3 is that it will charge slower on my wall connecter than the Model S does. Mine has the old school dual chargers, so it can pull a full 80 amps from the wall, and my wall connector is on a 100 amp circuit.

I rarely need to use that kind of power, but there have been one or two occasions when coming back after a trip it's been nice to crank it up all the way.

My recommendation re: home charging is just to get a wall connector. It's worlds more convenient than what I used to do at home and what I still do at work, which is drag the UMC out of the trunk and plug into a 14-50.

Re: plates. I used 3M mounting tape for the bracket on my VW and so far it's still solid, after about 18 months. Running without a plate isn't an option for me, since parking enforcement in DC will give you a very thick and meaty ticket for that.

EDIT:

re: electrical stuff. I am far from an expert, and codes vary from state to state, but you may not be able to add a toggle between a heater and the 14-50 or wall connector. I asked my electrician if they could put a switch in, with a 14-50 in the front yard and a 14-50 in the back yard running on the same breaker, and the answer was no; the total load had to be counted regardless of whether there was a toggle that made it impossible to use both devices at the same time. As they say, YMMV.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote