Thread: VW's...
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #112
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Getting closer I think... test drove three suvs today.

First up Toyota dealer

2018 4-runner sr-5 4x4
-trucky but it is one. Basically a old tech suv you can buy new.
-steering was honest. Brakes were super sensitive though.
-interior is utilitarian
-wife was concerned about gas mileage. Told her a 23 gallon tank so should not need to fuel up more often.

2018 highlander
-drove just like our current higher lander, marshmellow on wheels.
-wife liked it since she likes her current highlander
-a lot of room and tech for money.

Toyota salesman was high pressure slimy salesman. Telling us what we needed

Next Mazda

2018 Mazda CX-9 touring
-feels like great power( 2.5t). All the NA v6 we have driven seem to shift to the highest gears as fast as possible but this did no so feels fast.
-handling is good for a suv
-interior is very attractive. Looks like a German suv but does not feel like it, aka hard plastic and fake metal trim.
-driver and passenger room is on the small side. Guess ok since my wife and I are not large.

Good salesman with no pressure.

So I prefer the 4-runner and Cx-9 and my wife seems to prefer the 4-runner and highlander. She has not really mentioned the MDX but Since I told her I didn’t like it so seemed to have influenced her. Basically it seems like the 4-runner but I am a bit worried she might tire of it doing her freeway commute.

Edit: highlander is the rational choice, best gas mileage ,tech,room and value. But for me it is boring and the same thing we currently have just new. But this is my wife’s car so trying to get best for her. But she trusts my opionion and she does want to get something I like since I drive the family around in it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote