View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I remember this well. Not even rereading the thread, I think it was you and Bren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
What made you go diesel?

Edit: I just read about the AWD modes. So Quadra trac 2 is pretty hardcore, just more off road focused.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...ed-106633.html

"Out of the two systems available for the Grand Cherokee, the Quadra-Trac II is the most capable version in off-road driving"
Well there is a version above quadra trac ii, and that's quadra drive ii, comes with the off-road package or with the Summit (which is otherwise not that off-roady). Adds a e-LSD to the rear, all else the same with trac ii. I hope I find the traction of the JGC sufficient. If the center diff behaves close enough to any usual longitudinal manual audi/subaru, I'll be good. Especially with the increase in clearance.

My first test drive some months ago was in a 3.6L, the 90% easy-to-find engine. Also 87-gas, so many advantages. I found it a bit lacking (at the time I was Range Rover minded). I didn't like the sound much, it was a very short drive so I might not have been fair to it. That said, it is a normally aspirated six on a 5000-5200lb vehicle.

Last week, drove the Hemi 5.7L. Felt just right in terms of power. Online shopped, but I know myself, even if the fuel savings would never be made up for in price, I would not enjoy something that sucks gas so fast.

Drove the diesel, liked it. The car is an amalgam. The platform is borrowed from the Mercedes ML, the AWD/4WD is pure Jeep and this engine is 3.0L turbodiesel from VM Motori in Italy, a Fiat subsidiary. It did come together, for me (as did the RR supercharged full-sized). I really do like having large range and mid to high 20's in highway mpg's.

I realize there were quite a few hitches in its introduction. So I'm rolling the dice a bit here, between Jeep (not the most reliable brand), GC (not high on reliability scores) and adapted Euro-Fiat engines. I have a bit of warranty remaining and may buy an extended one. That's where domestic is a breath of air, everything costs much less than German-land.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote