View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
JST

IDK, man, I really don’t understand your point. In the cellphone power context, what is the analog with the high speed charger network? And also I am confused because I thought JV originally brought this analogy up to say it was hypocritical to be pissed at Tesla and ok with Apple.

There is a somewhat complex analogy you could draw between the buildout of incompatible 3G networks, the transition to 4G, and the role of subsidized locked handsets, but that has such different market and technology dynamics that I don’t think it’s particularly helpful. Among many other things, while phones are expensive, they pale in comparison to the cost of service; no one is trying to build an EV network and give away cheap cars as an incentive to subscribe to it.

Ultimately I agree with you that multiple standards are probably untenable. There will be convergence at some point. Either Tesla and other OEMs will get serious about long-rumored agreements to share the Tesla network, or Tesla will make CCS adapters and switch over to CCS here, too — or some combination.

But you’ve been slagging Tesla in particular for the decision to build a proprietary charging network for years. I just think you’re wrong about that; the proprietary network made sense for Tesla, made sense for Tesla’s customers, and was one of the key drivers to allowing Tesla to sell half a million cars last year.

And without that success, there’s NFW GM would be seriously talking about transitioning to full EV by 2035.

In fact, I’m going to say that when the story of the EV transition is written, the Supercharger network will be one of the main inflection points (along with Dieselgate, maybe, but only because Dieselgate gave VW an economic incentive it did not otherwise have to invest in a charging network).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote