View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

The new base model actually intrigues me more than the other variants because:
-The bare bones interior starts to make more sense at that price. One thing i'm unsure of is what replaces the wood (they just say "base" trim in the desription). I guess as long as its not gloss black plastic it should be fine.
-Fabric instead of fake leather seats sounds great.
-Manual seat and steering adjustment sounds quicker/easier to deal with than the convoluted screen/steering wheel setup for the power versions
-I'm not sure how much the reduced range really matters all the much. The big advantage of EVs is that you can start each day w/ a full charge if you want. For long trips it seems that best practice is to stop at every supercharger regardless of pack size-- I guess the difference here is that it might take longer given you'd be more likely to deal with tapering down of charging speed (although its possible the short range version is just a software limited in which case this won't be a problem).

The audio system sounds like it sucks though-- and I think the only sound source you get is their very basic bluetooth setup. But for a commuter car where you're just listening to podcasts its probably fine.

I do agree that if "lagginess" is programmed into the RWD variants it becomes a deal breaker. But could it really be worse than the average 4 cyl turbo with which it competes at this price point?

If I were in the market for this type of vehicle, it might hard to pass up the Hyundai Kona. Nicer interior, more practical and probably better sales/service support. Charging network is the big downside.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote