View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #72
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Interesting. I was guessing a touch over 5000. I believe the diesel adds about 500 lbs over the 6 cylinder. And 300 over the hemi.

What about turning? Does the outside front tire scream for the sweet release of death every time you round a mild corner?
I read some comparative reviews. Hemi seems to add 200lbs to the 6-cyl and the diesel seems to add 150ish to that. Note that hemi & diesel come with heavy duty brakes and towing package that is not as common on the 6. The hemi was decent and almost fun in a straight-line due to the soundtrack and response (if not the actual speed). It's likely quite reliable, but the archaic design and displacement mean that I'd be getting mid to low teens. And 200 to 250 on a tank.

The outside front? It probably would. There is either construction load or the dog in the car so I wouldn't know. It's not a car that encourages turning of that sort - at all. I have no intention on rolling it. I did just score a nearly new set of lighter Summit (higher trim) wheels that I put on, those are in the picture. The downside is that the tires are still the same, mediocre goodyear fortera's. So I will put together a winter set and take it easy in all 4 seasons.

I'm doing ok if I keep up with fast traffic. It does better on sweepers, once set up. And it powers out well, that audi/awd feeling. At least it's comfortable enough. But it's not meant to dominate the left lane let alone provide cornering delights. No large SUV I've driven can do that. The full-sized RR wouldn't be very different (smoother ride). The cayenne would be the only one and that is $$$ and I have a nice rwd 535i sedan anyway.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote