View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
What to get next? FC edition

Well, no allocation on the M3, so time to rip up that plan and start a new one. I'll need input on this one.

Current fleet

eGolf: Must be turned in end of Jan 2019. I like having an EV but wife doesn't LOVE it. Buy out is likely to be equal or more than market value, so it is unlikely we will keep it unless VW offers an incentive.

LR4: It's 4.5 years old now. We love it and will indefinitely remain the family car. It is now old enough that if it had to be my wife's DD to the train station it could be, but I rather spare it from such crap duty year round.

Miata: It's a great occasional sports car. Beat up just enough to not obsess over it, super cheap to run and with minimal depreciation impact.

The plan of record

Effectively replace eGolf with nice sports sedan. Wife gets the choice of Miata or LR4 to drive to train station and I drive the sedan with and kids to school and work.

Curveballs:

1) My wife's new job allows her to do the school drop-off 2 days a week on average. She can usually pick them up once a week. That has allowed far more Miata driving than expected, but trouble is I usually have to do either the drop off or pick-up still, which means swapping cars at home for a 4-mile round trip - and that's dumb. I still do it when I get the itch.

2) My oldest will walk to middle school starting fall of 2019, which means I can get away with a 2-seater as a commuter starting then. Key here is that this in only months after the eGolf is turned in.

Options:

1) Turn in eGolf and get the a sports sedan at that time (CPO F80M3, used E90M3, used E39M5, used last of S4 manuals, etc.)

2) Turn in eGolf and pick up a used GTI (or other car) to hold me over until a new, desirable BMW sedan is available (M2 GC, G80 M3). The desirable part is tricky. The M2 GC could be a FWD-based POS, and the G80 could be slushy-only. If so, I waited for nothing.

3) Turn in eGolf and pick up a sub- ~45k sedan. Then wait a year or two and upgrade Miata to a 981/987.2 Boxster.

In all cases, we are open to a cheap EV as a 4th car. But it would have to be Sub 10K - ideally sub 8k. It would be for wife's 8-mile round trips to train station and in-town errands. As long as its real range is a few tens of miles it would work.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote