View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #1173
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
So, drove my friend's P85 today. I don't have time for a full review at the moment, but a few observations.

1) The power is insane. The complete lack of aural drama is at odds with the rapid increase in speed. I don't like that, but I bet you get used to it (in a good way).

2) The one-pedal driving is cool. I got used to it almost immediately. It's much better / smoother / more intuitive than the Volt when the Volt is in "Tesla mode."

3) The handling is OK, but there is absolutely no chassis feel or steering feel. It has tons of grip and there isn't much roll, but you can tell the thing doesn't have any interest in being "playful." Having said that, there aren't many near-5,000lb vehicles that I would call "playful." And certainly not many big sedans with that quality.

4) The interior is gorgeous (this one is full leather) but the view out the back is atrocious, the convex rear view mirror is dumb, the lack of a center console is dumber and the turn signal stalk is a major ergonomic flaw. It's a multifunction stalk, the markings on which can't be seen unless you're making a hard right turn, and it's positioned down at 7 o'clock on the wheel. Silly. I kept trying to indicate lane changes with the cruise control stalk.

5) The power is insane. Did I mention that?

6) The 21" wheels look ridiculous. I realize this is a big car (holy crap, it's big) but the 21" wheels are over the top.

7) There's a lot of noise in the wheel wells from gravel. It sounds like it has no fender well sound deadening whatsoever.

8) The ride height automatically lowering at speed is neat.

9) I want one, but for the money, there are things I want a lot more.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote