Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 12:14 AM   #30
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Supercharging doesn’t complete the charge in under 20minutes. Which means it’s a so-so solution.

Once you extend beyond your 120mi radius you basically set aside 2 hours to charge? and that’s supercharging. Not a great solution.

So then your argument is “have another car”.

Okay. I think this debate is really dumb.

As for “EVs excel in the city” —have you lived in NYC and tried to charge when there’s a two hour time limit in the garage of the condo association? Sure. That works great for me too. Not.

Let’s be honest: this is still for the one percenters. And the market is near saturation. And then Tesla is faced with a cliff.

I’m not anti EV. I just think the current infrastructure sucks and it’s just a pain in the ass still.

Furthermore: the styling is hideous and homely.

If I was looking at a Model S? I wouldn’t. It’s already dated. I’d be getting a 7 or S.

The Model 3 looks like a Martian drew an AMC Gremlin. No thanks.

I don't think we're at the point where EVs make sense for everyone, or even (perhaps) the majority of people. I wouldn't argue otherwise.

And there are a lot of people for whom the EV circle doesn't square. That's cool. EVs won't be mandatory for a while, if ever.

But, honestly, I think the tradeoffs for EVs are just that--tradeoffs. I *hate* going to the gas station, because there isn't an easy one around here, and it's a pain in the ass to get to. Not having to go to the gas station is a real improvement in my quality of life.

And, as I've said elsewhere, the range on my car is about the same as the V8 M3, both urban and highway. Supercharging takes longer than getting gas, but as long as I'm not going farther than 1 supercharger hop the difference is immaterial. For longer distances? The difference starts to bite, but is it unworkable? Not really.

I'm not the evangelist for Tesla I once was; I don't love the way Elon runs the company, and I'm not happy about the way he treats his employees. At the same time, Tesla has remade the future of the automobile. That's not a bad thing. I'd love to have something like an E46 with a stick, but no one was going to build me one of those anyway.

If my choice is between some dumb BMW soft-roader with a ZF 8 speed and a Tesla pretty much anything, give me the latter. At least I won't be killing the planet quite as fast, and my car will be more fun to drive.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote