Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
JST

EVs generally have a problem with urban penetration. Tesla has so far spent the most time and effort trying to solve that by building out a robust charging network; they have at least a 6 year head start on that.

I guess I don’t see how “the big boys” are any better situated to address that problem, especially given that they don’t really seem to be spending much time or money to address it.

When the e-Tron finally launches—I guess this year sometime?—it will have a shorter range and be more expensive than the Model 3, and will demand more energy per mile. It will not have a dedicated charging network of any kind, and will have to compete for space at the relatively few public DC fast Chargers that exist.

It will have a dealer network, where you’ll be able to go buy one. That’s an advantage, especially if you like the traditional car buying experience.

Forgive me if I think Tesla has a longer head start than most people think, and that “the big boys” aren’t going to be competitive with their first gen EVs*—and maybe not even with their second.

*the i3 and other sub100 Mile cars aren’t even gen 1; more like gen zero.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote