View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 01:26 PM   #34
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Well, they have vastly nicer interiors, I have to imagine. The newest Suburbans are very nice compared to what they were ten years ago, but you're always aware you're driving something pretty low-rent, despite the >$50k MSRP. I have to imagine a Q7 has a pretty baller interior.

As to Josh's question about why not rent... Renting is a hassle. It's the part of our yearly trip planning that I dread the most. Renting a full-size SUV is also insanely expensive.

Like Josh I really don't get the appeal of big SUVs. A pickup truck is better at hauling stinky / messy stuff (er, minus children, which are both stinky and messy), and a minivan is better at hauling people with their stuff. But people like SUVs. I like small sports cars for regular driving and I like my pickup for towing.
If we're going fancy, I actually think the Escalade interior is pretty nice (leather dash, etc.), plus they handle well with the magnetic suspension. One reason for choosing a GL or Q7 (Q7 is actually quite a bit smaller than the MB - more like the Volvo), is parking in the city. I could fit the Audi into our parking spots and parallel park on the street almost as easily as I can with the X5. A tahoe-sized GM is problematic for that. I understand my use case is fairly unique.

Edit: one point in favor of the GL is that you can get it with real engines, not this 300+hp nonsense from Audi.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote