View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’m not at all surprised by the front; that’s what I expected based on all the Blade Runner talk.

I was surprised by the back and the trapezoidal side plan, but of course that makes sense when you think about it—it’s all about aerodynamics. That side plan is an exaggerated version of what you see in a lot of hybrids, and I’m sure it’s responsible for the range figures quoted. In that context, it’s purely utilitarian.

Will buyers accept it? There’s a long time to get used to it, and I suspect that (as with the F-117) this will define a new aesthetic over the next couple of years.

The question of whether the side panels and bed cover interfere too much with its utility as a pickup truck is interesting. Maybe they will. Given the number of trucks I see with aftermarket bed covers, I can imagine a big percentage of truck drivers might actually appreciate the lockable nature of the hold.

But these won’t be bought by contractors, anyway. The same people that buy Raptors will snap these up. It’s a brodozer without the carbon guilt.
This isn't a Raptor or bro-truck replacement. Those at least play to the idea of what makes a truck a truck and this does not.

We all know that the pick up market is HUGE. Even though only a portion of those trucks are used in a truck like manner, the ridiculous side panels as they are on this limit the truck's market to the...I won't names, but you know who you are and those who can finally replace their Cadillac Escalade EXTs and Lincoln Mark LTs because you can't use this Tesla thing to do most real pick up truck things.

But if you can retract the sail panels into the bedsides down to a normal truck like height and operate the truck with them in the retracted position (so shit can hang out the side when need be) it's probably a winner.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote