View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 04:34 AM   #23
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Absolutely...except for the tires part, sorta, because it's such an easy/low cost problem to fix. Brand new take offs for cars like these tend to go for nearly new type money and you can put on whatever you want instead. If it's a lease, you buy some used wheels (with or without tires) and go. At lease end, you put the originals back on and done.
Yes and no.

The GT4 is not a miata or even a regular ass boxster. I thought hard back in 2015 if I was going to run a separate set of street tires for the GT4, MPSS being the choice du jour. A set of 20's, tpms and porsche rims that don't let that car down, you're looking at $4 to 5k. I was fine with buying a $100k car that holds value, I'm not fine spending high running costs.

I didn't go to the trouble for the very few miles I did. If I had committed to the car, I would have needed to. You're not even supposed to *store* the MPSC2 in an unheated location. And to get your money back or sell a used car for more than MSRP, it'd better be perfect. All in all, the GT4 slot opening delayed my entry to "normal" 981 by nearly a year.

Today, I'm fine having two sets of tires/wheels for all three of our cars, I now have the storage space (though still unheated so I couldn't store MPSC2 over winter) and those extra sets are not worth crazy sums of money.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote