View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I'll be the first to admit that Tesla's initial build quality can be improved -- all 3 of ours have needed some corrections done after delivery.

But their longer-term quality is decent. We've never had a break-down that stranded us.

I put over 92k miles on my Model S, and it did have several warranty items addressed over its life. The drive unit was replaced, but it was pro-active by Tesla and I put ~80k miles on the 2nd drive unit. The Model S also had a few other issues -- one motorized door handle failed, the AC system didn't cool one day (but was fine a couple hours later), the original tire pressure monitor system failed, and the sunroof rails had to be replaced (this may have been an initial quality issue -- but it showed up about a year after delivery). All were fixed under warranty.

The Model 3 spent several months in the body shop for the accident repairs (and some subsequent adjustments to stop the trunk leak). But since then, its only been in twice -- the first was to add coolant since I got a warning (this was likely accident related -- there may have been an air bubble introduced to the coolant lines when the battery was dropped to do repairs...). The other time to fix a trim panel in the trunk where a clip broke -- took a whopping 5 min to get it fixed... It now has about 15k miles on it.

We'll see how the Y goes...
Yep- initial build quality isn't necessarily a predictor of long term reliability. I think the only manufacturer that seems to consistently do a good job at both is Toyota.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote