View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #54
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You guys are bringing back memories, I used to drive to drivers Ed with a junior license in a Black 85 Supra hop into the 4 door crapo drivers Ed car, do the instruction then take off once we got back to the school in the Supra ... I had learned to drive at the age of 9 and learned a manual at the age of 10 so by the time I was 16 I already knew what I was doing so the drivers Ed teacher gave me very little time behind the wheel since the other people needed it.

That was a fun summer and while I was not really supposed to be driving by myself I was lucky to have a cool dad let me take one of his cars.
Wow, that's a nice first car.

My first car was my sister's, which I bought from her for $1000. It was a 1980 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Liftback with a 1.8L longtitudinally-mounted inline-4 mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

It looked very similar to this, same body color but with stock wheels:

While it was SEVERELY underpowered and couldn't keep up with my other friend's muscle cars (there were a couple of guys who had a Chevelle SS 454, Camaro Z/28 and Mustang Mach 1......must be nice to have a cool first car like those, lol), it offered great gas mileage, had plenty of cargo room and more importantly, was fun to drive (to me, at least). It was a car that was extremely reliable (those Corollas will run FOREVER) and the operating costs were minimal, and for a poor student like me who came from parents who weren't wealthy, it was an AWESOME car.

So, my suggestion for a good first car would have to have those qualities.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 07-05-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote