View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #52
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I have nothing to add. At the time, my school had a very good drivers Ed program. I got about 12 hours behind the wheel during the summer before I I turned 17 (NJ was close to what FC described 16 1/2 permit WITH drivers ED 17 to get my full license)

Time was spent with one other student from my school (who I didn't know at the time) and a teacher. Funny thing, that other student and I have now been great friends for over 39 years!
I have nothing to add as well, LOL.

My high school also had a great Driver's Ed program. Besides the usual classroom instruction, we had to have 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. I remember the day my instructor, who happens to be our Spanish teacher, picked me up at my house. I was expecting 2 other students in the car as well, but imagine my surprise when he said, "The 2 other guys aren't going to make it, it's just going to be you and me".

So off we went. We did A LOT of driving scenarios: in-town, parking lot maneuvers including driving on a course in reverse, highway, stop-and-go, parallel parking, you name it. About 3 hours in, he asks, "Do you want to stop or keep going ??"

I said, "I'm having a blast !! Let's just keep going so that I can get all 6 hours done today".

So we just cruised around, had lunch and burned a tank full of gas. We must've put about 300 miles in the car that day.

Needless to say, I aced my driving test at the DMV a few weeks later in my dad's 1980 Chevrolet Impala 2-door sedan.

After I got home from the DMV, my dad says, "Ok, now you're going to learn to drive a stick". So we took my mom's 1984 Chevrolet Chevette out and practiced parallel parking right in front of the house.

With a slight incline. It was here when he showed me the handbrake trick, which I still use to this very day.

After I got the hang of the clutch's take-up spot without stalling and bucking, we cruised the town for an hour or so.

Long story short, I've been driving manuals ever since....
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 07-04-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote