Thread: RS4 vert
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov'ment mule
And while they're at it make it RWD.

But that's too bold and forward thinking for Audi. They are going to live and die by their AWD mantra.

Personally, I don't think they want to go head-to-head with BMW. They are perfectly satisfied breaking even, rather than going for the brass rings. Their forte and comfort zone is AWD, and they obviously have made a conscious decision not to venture outside the box, even if just to test the waters with just one vehicle. I honestly think they are too afraid they might succeed. If they did win a head-to-head battle with say for example the E92, what would they do then? Change the entire product line to RWD vehicles? Make all/some available in RWD configuration?

It just opens too many decisions that someone with foresight and big cajones will have to make.

What they don't know is it's a battle that they could win right now. I'm looking to crossover in a bad way, but they honestly have nothing compelling enough for me to do it. Either their offerings are missing the right set of options and/or drivetrain, or what is offered is too expensive in relation to competitive offerings.

Until they can put the right combination together I'm afraid I'll never partake of the Audi experience.
No, I think they genuinely believe in AWD. Quattro is their distinguisher. Their "unfair advantage" ads spoke to this angle.

They will stay FWD-based as long as the platforms are heavily shared with VW, which, from a cost perspective, must remain FWD.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote