View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #539
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So... I heard back from the “inside delivery advisor” today (ie the guy in Vegas).

Car is now supposed to arrive in OH on Wednesday. He’s checking to see how far that is from the local store/service center/delivery center before he schedules the delivery. I’m taking Friday afternoon off, so I offered up any time Friday afternoon if that works.

He was also supposed to finalize paperwork today with no trade in. But nothing back yet.

As for the Model S. I have a relatively early VIN (low 11k...). The thread for that car documents the problems I had, but nearly all problems were in the first 15 months. But it never stranded me and was always able to be driven. The first problem was the main charger failed on day 9. The Drive unit was replaced at about 12k miles, but it never actually failed, and a lot of early Model S had the DUs replaced. Other issues were alignment - it needed 3 alignments over the first 9 months. It also came with a chip in the interior rear view mirror, which was just cosmetic. Later problems included a sunroof alignment that wouldn’t always close (they replaced the rails...), and a brake line that was rubbing on a trim piece (there was a TSB on this, which modified the rear wheel well liners to allow more clearance, but one line was replaced on my car). I’ve also had to have the charge port door replaced - the magnet that holds it shut came detached. Somewhere along the way I had one door handle replaced.

From 15 months to 4.5 years, it was mostly only in for scheduled service. Things like brake line flushes, coolant changes, etc. I did have the charge port replaced a couple times — but not because it would not charge the car, but once because the light ring went wonky (colors off), and another time because it wouldn’t reliably release the pin that locks the charge cable to the car (I could use the app to open charge port and quickly pull the cable out, otherwise it would immediately lock back up). In the last year, the TPMS system failed (and they put the newer system in which gives tire pressure for each tire...), and the glove box latch wouldn’t lock. Everything was covered under warranty, and while I paid for the extended warranty, I never was charged the $200 deductible for work performed under it,,,