View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #661
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I saw a video last fall or early this year where someone tested a RWD 3 with and without the aero covers on the same ~30 mile back-forth (~15 each way) on the same evening in Orange County CA. I thought he called the improvement was around 8-10% with the aero covers on. I could see the larger wheels reducing range by a couple percent more, so 15% reduction is probably on the outer side of reality. But... Unless someone drives the same car on the same route at about the same time with the same weather conditions on each set of wheels, I won't fully trust the estimates.

But what I can trust is hard data. I posted a screenshot of the "lifetime" mileage on my Model S from the TeslaFi logs. Below is my Model 3 Lifetime (albeit only a couple days…). What's interesting is that over ~40k miles, the Model S was 317 Wh/Mile (which is just under 3 miles per kWh).

I've now logged 234 miles on the 3, and its showing 246 Wh/Mile --- just barely over 4 miles per kWh. The 4 mile/kWh metric is widely reported over at TMC, so this is in line. But most cars have the 18" Aero wheels, and I have the 19's. Perhaps the Dual Motor is offsetting the impact of the wheels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TeslaFi Model 3 Lifetime Map 9-15-18.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	11971