View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Re: Koni's rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
710s might be on the radar next year, depending on what happens, but I'm concerned about cording them. Does my stock camber setup have enough camber to keep them wearing evenly?
Rumor has it that the edges hold up pretty well. The edges of mine look OK after 14 runs. I know a guy running his E46 M3 in A-stock, so he's also camber challenged, and he said his are holding up really well. I'll let you know how long mine end up lasting. I'm still undecided whether it would be worth $100 to rotate them at some point. I've heard bad stories about folks who flipped them too late into their life.

Oh, and the Koni install is pretty easy. You just need a spring compressor.

Quote:
The big problem that I have with autocrossing the ZHP has nothing to do with the suspension or handling. It's the power (or lack thereof). After getting used to the rip the tail sideways power of the M3, the 330 just feels slow.
That's funny. For me it was the exact opposite. I was worried about why the car wouldn't go around corners, and why I sucked so much at driving. When I was slow in a straight, it was usually because I screwed up the previous corner.

I think it depends what your goal is. If you just want to go out there, have fun, and tear up the course, then everything you've said makes a lot sense. But I'd take a well setup 330 that is competitive in its class any day over an uncompetitive M3 that allowed me to do Bren-style dukes of hazzard drifts through the whole course.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote