View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #1508
JST

Sizzle in this sense means hearing them on the road, not at the limit of adhesion. That's something you don't hear in a car with an engine, but it's pretty pronounced in a car without one. Is it viscerally as much fun as a big V8 sound? No, but it's an interesting aspect that lets you get closer to the feeling of just being part of the environment. It's like the difference between biking and motorcycling, except faster.

The fast car slow v. slow car fast argument is a long and storied one. I suspect a Miata would have been more fun on these roads. I know the Boxster would have been. I'm not sure what a lower-limit, well-balanced EV would be like in these kinds of circumstances, but I don't think the M3 would have been any better than the Tesla. Louder, certainly, but not more fun.

And honestly the acceleration in the Tesla *is* accessible, and usable, in a way that the similar power in the BMW isn't. That's one thing our electric future will give, at the same time it takes away things like loud noises and shifting. Maybe it's not a good trade, but it's not nothing.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote