View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Racing is a really interesting sport, because in addition to talent and practice, you also need to rely on an extremely complex machine operating on the edge (or over) its design limits to function flawlessly in order to win. Imagine if a baseball bat had thousands of moving parts.

It's amazing to me that people like JV and others can master not only the driving part (which is really fucking hard), but also the role of suspension engineer, test driver, mechanic, crew chief...

All of my hats are off to that.

I realized a few years ago that autocross competition, for me, was like being a Detroit Lions fan--lots and lots of time and emotional energy invested for the same result, time after time, which was mostly anger and self-loathing.

I don't watch the Lions anymore. Nor do I autocross. I have to find other things to fill me with rage.
Don't forget you also have to be a logistics master when you need parts and tools that take slow boats from China, Japan, Korea, Germany, England and hen there are the lazy UPS guys in Philly that can only be bothered to put three of your four tires on a truck, leaving the last for the far side of the weekend. And you need to be super fucking adaptable.

Postscript to the stressing/meltdown/wrenching thing. One of the big things that wore on me when running a heavy national schedule was stressing about tires. Would I have time at work to be on hold waiting for Paul? Would I be able to get them in time? Would I be able to drop off at Radial before closing? Would I be able to pick up before closing? Etc. From February to October, my life felt like it revolved around tires. And it was facing stressful.

The 255/40-17 Bridgestone RE-71Rs I was supposed to have mounted today at Radial Tire weren't ordered and didn't come in. Instead, there was a set of 215s waiting for me which, as Paul described, "look a little narrow for an 8" wheel." Because a new order wouldn't be going in until now, it would be quite a while until I could get them. 10 years ago, that would have been the end of the world. Today, when Paul asked what I wanted to do, "I just said, let's get 245s." They'll be here tomorrow and they'll be fine. I think the 255 is the right size tire for the car, but oh well.

The Lions thing...funny you mention that with the Capitals about to start their first round playoffs series this week.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote