View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM   #48
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Like a lot of other Western states, AZ only requires emission inspections in the urban counties (i.e. Maricopa, Pinal and Pima counties -- basically the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas...). New cars are exempt for 5 model years, and then they are required every 2 years after that. EVs are also exempt... Emission inspections are done at state facilities and they charge a small fee. If you fail, repairs can be done by any shop and then you go back for re-inspection. The only cars I've had to do that for were the E39 and Boxster -- but only once each as I sold them after their first inspection was required.

But there is a safety inspection required when transferring a title on an out-of-state car to an AZ title (doesn't apply to new or used cars purchased in AZ...). Those inspections are done by the MVD at no charge and take about 5 min -- they do some visual checks with the car on the ground. If this inspection is failed, then there is a more in depth inspection also done by a state facility, but they charge a fee. Repairs are handled by private shops and the car must be re-inpspected after repair...