View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Just got back from Vermont yesterday. Including that trip, I put 1350 miles on the e90 330xi in two weeks.

It's simply an excellent daily driver.

Sure the clutch could be better or the car could be a cayman or it could be a gt2. Whatever, once you get used to it, it just doesn't matter... It is very well isolated and cruises almost/just as well as an e39 while remaining as tight and even flatter than an e46. While I didn't think this whilst I owned an e46, I now think it's quite a leap past them (the zhp and some modified sports are still more fun, but the e90 is the better daily). Much more solid.

The normally aspirated 3.0 is a gem for daily driving, I got 29mpg on one all-highway tank and 27mpg on another (colder, more hills). Such a blessing after the s4. The xi gives up some steering feel, but I found the x-drive to be quite good (and I've had two audis and a subaru), much better than their last half-assed effort. It has a slight "delay" to it, hard to describe, but it still feels like a bmw. No worries on snow/ice and kicks the back if you gun it enough. Great for my ski trips, after 3 winters of rwd + snows, I'm enjoying not worrying about getting stuck.

The logic7 is the best car audio I've heard. Also it's quite simply controlled (non i-drive) and it took only an inexpensive monster cable/charger to hook up my ipod nicely.

The biggest con are the RFT tires - and even they are acceptable so long as you're not in the urban northeast (I didn't really notice them in Vermont). Some other minor cons are window button placement and of course, for the xi's, a certain lack of steering feel (but I'm willing to pay that price for awd).
The xi is a bit strange on turns, the car doesn't balance unless you're on the gas very early, so you have to turn in slow -but then so are most awd cars (and some famous rear-engined sports cars as well )

I "familiarized" myself further with x-drive soon after I took this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1082.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	2805  
equ is offline   Reply With Quote