View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #25
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
6 month update.

I sent them back (twice... long story) and the guy tuned them on his girlfriend's Colorado. They're the best recipe for street driving that he could produce.

The result? Hit and miss

The bigger the bump, the better they are. Hit a speed bump at like 10 mph and you think, "Holy crap that should have been way worse than that! These things are amazing."

But the large pistons have a lot of static friction. This means it takes a decent amount of force to get the piston moving initially. So small bumps in the road are transmitted to your ass more than you'd think they should be. But I hit a small highway crack and I'm like, "Damn, I shouldn't have needed to feel that"

So I'm torn. It's fun to have shocks that can handle anything. I find myself intentionally hitting bumps and potholes just for kicks. But not being able to absorb small/medium highway cracks on a street vehicle is pretty stupid.

The stock shocks are best at the small stuff - because they basically don't do anything.

If I weren't so lazy I'd try a set of bilsteins. I've read good reports, but also a lot of negative ones (for the colorado) saying they're harsher than stock, yet still blow through their travel and bottom out on big bumps.

But for now, I'm too lazy to change anything so they stay.

Last edited by rumatt; 08-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote